1. When Dudley wants to catch one of his birds, he uses a large fishing net which costs about £12-£15.
2. Hens will become stressed after prolonged attempts at catching them. Lunging at them will only make this worse. Try to be decisive but calm.
3. Dudley keeps the net low to the ground. Hens are programmed to avoid air borne predators, and the net puts some distance between him and the birds he wants to catch. He isn’t looming over them.
4. Dudley uses a smooth, rapid sweeping motion when catching birds.
5. Chickens will often fly upwards to escape. Bringing the net over their heads mean they will fly into it. Here Dudley is twisting the net over this chicken as it takes off.
6. He keeps twisting the net round and lifts the bird off the ground.
7. This technique takes practice, as not everyone is willing to co-operate!