Chickens must have their freedoms
PUBLISHED: 11:12 03 March 2011
Before starting to keep chickens you should be aware that legally, you have a duty of care to them to fulfil their needs. These needs are based on the five freedoms
1. Freedom from Hunger and Thirst - by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
2. Freedom from Discomfort - by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
3. Freedom from Pain, Injury or Disease - by prevention or rapid diagnosis and treatment.
4. Freedom to Express Normal Behaviour - by providing sufficient space, proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
5. Freedom from Fear and Distress - by ensuring conditions and treatment
which avoid mental suffering.